Romantische Strasse or ‘The Romantic Road’ is a national narrow road in Bavaria, with a length of about 360 km, linking many medieval towns and vestiges of the Roman Empire, well preserved. The road starts at Wurzburg and ends at Füsen. The wonderful greenish landscapes are melting harmoniously with the medieval rustic air and the Bavarian cuisine, present everywhere, and its legendary beer.
The road is spectacular, not only because everywhere are delightful castles, Gothic cathedrals, old buildings, baroque churches and houses with woodwork on walls but also because of the history, the culture, the romantic road offers sensational scenery, forests, mountains, lakes, rivers, vineyards, valleys, farms, painted all in almost all shades of green and blue as possible.
On the way you can visit the famous castles, recognised for their architecture and grandeur throughout the world, like Hohenschwangau Castle, where Ludovic II spent his childhood and Neuschwanstein Castle, which is one of the most famous tourist attractions in Bavaria and Germany, being the inspiration of the Disney Americans, when they created the Sleeping Beauty Castle. Both castles are a short distance from each other, separated by the ‘Romantic Road’, being a wonderful route that can be crossed on foot, by car or carriage.
Some of the beautiful towns along the Romantic Road
· Wurzburg is considered the Romantic Road pearl, with its famous baroque staircase created by Balthasar Neumann, the fortified castle Festung Marienberg, located on a steep hill, and on the other side of the river Main, dominates the city.
· Rothenburg ob der Tauber is a medieval city of an incredible scenic beauty, holding century’s old houses, towers, churches, museums and a castle. A special attraction, specific to this city is that here is Christmas all year, housing the famous Christmas Museum and Käthe Wohlfahrt's Christmas shops.
· Augsburg is one of the oldest cities in Germany. The city hosts Fuggerei, which is the oldest social housing complex in the world that is still open for visiting and has the same purpose, the rent being only about 88 cents.
· Friedberg, another medieval city, draws attention by its Wittelsbacher Palace, which features an interesting display of watches.
· Füssen is one of the most famous destinations in Gemany with its well known Neuschwanstein Castle.