If you are wondering which Bruges attractions are or which are the coolest Bruges free things to do, here you’ll find the answer, because we started our 2015's bucket list, traveling first time this year in this city absolutely gorgeous, which has a variety of free attractions and things to do! Bruges attractions are few but enough to quench your appetite for sightseeing, especially if the one for Belgian chocolate will not ever stop!
Going on this trip at the beginning of February, the weather was more than generous, quite sunny and the temperature slightly below 0 degrees Celsius, which is true, due to the harsh wind, gave us a feeling of cold. However, entering into the shops filled with chocolate and candies and having the good fortune to receive a free sample that will delight your taste buds is part of Bruges free things to do, so we warmed up instantly our body and soul.
We landed at Brussels South Charleroi Airport, where we took Flibco bus. A ticket costs around 42 Euros roundtrip, if you buy it directly from the airport, but if you buy it online - https://www.flibco.com/en - is much cheaper!). Pay attention when you are returning from Bruges Kiss & Ride zone (where the bus leaves you and from where you will take it to get back to the airport). There is no place where to buy the return ticket! You can only purchase tickets online or directly from the driver but only using your credit card! There is no possibility to pay cash, so extra attention. It is best to buy your roundtrip tickets directly from their website.
Bruges attractions seem to be everywhere, as the medieval cozy city is lined up with picturesque canals and cobbled streets, where a bohemian scent floating in the air gives you the feeling that you are in the past. Suddenly, the branded stores and charming hotels take you back into reality. Among the main Bruges attractions include boating on its beautiful canals. It’s not a usual ride, rather a romantic one, because you have the chance to admire the beauty of the city and its secret gardens. If we are still speaking of romance, we found an absolutely fascinating landscape - Groenerei & Peerdenbrug, a place where time stops and everything seams detached from a story, Groenerei having the reputation as the most beautiful place in Bruges.
Some places are too angelic to describe in words, as is the Beguinage, another lovely spot which is included in the must-see Bruges attractions, being an oasis of tranquility with an impressive courtyard and a few swans which are reflecting their beauty in the crystal clear waters of the canal. It’s such a wonderful view!
Bruges free things to do
Bruges is a small and compact city, so you do not need several days to visit it. However, you'll love this medieval town and you will definitely not want to leave. Here are some of the coolest Bruges free things to do!
- Rozenhoedkaai, it's like a live postcard! It connects the Belfry Tower with the city canals, being the most photographed spot.
- A walk along the canals of Bruges not cost anything and is very pleasant and romantic.
- Go into the heart of the city: The Market Square, where the colored houses, nicely aligned, as if where made of gingerbread, attracts a lot of photographers. The vivid and colorful atmosphere and the smell of waffles and fries will definitely attract your attention.
- Minnewater Lake is the ideal place to relax and enjoy a pleasant landscape.
- The Historic Centre of Bruges can be admired and photographed whenever you want. The atmosphere seems to have preserved its medieval scent, along with the chocolate, antiques and souvenirs shops.
- Basilica of the Holy Blood is impressive and can be visited free of charge.
- Stop at the Belgian chocolates stores, beautifully arranged, and make as many pictures as you can! Nothing is more beautiful than to remember the town of chocolate and especially to show your friends how many sweet temptations you found on your way.
- Admire the impetuous Grote Markt, the main square in Bruges.
- Just around the corner from the Halve Maan Brewery's, you'll find Beguinage, a kind of small village with green spaces, very beautiful, where walking is free.
The most important Bruges attractions
- Basilica of the Holy Blood, an impressive church, built in neo-Gothic style, famous because here it would be a relic of the Holy Blood.
- Church of Our Lady, an architectural masterpiece, hosting a work of great value, Michelangelo's world-famous Madonna and Child.
- Bruges Diamond Museum, where you will learn how 500 years ago, in Bruges, were first applied the techniques of cutting diamonds and many other fascinating things about diamonds.
- Choco-Story / Chocolate Museum is for gourmets, a unique experience that shows you the history of cocoa and chocolate, at the end of the incursion being able to taste chocolate ... so yummy!
- Belgian Fries Museum shows you why Belgians are famous for their fries or why the Belgian fries are so famous in Belgium and worldwide.
- Expo Picasso holds an impressive collection of artworks by Picasso and his friends, Chagall, Renoir or Miro, and some of Monet's paintings too.
- Belfry Tower, the best spot to catch the whole city at a glance!
- Try fries, waffles and beer, take a boat ride, buy chocolate and book a room overlooking one of the gorgeous canals.
This hotel has a wonderful restaurant where you can take breakfast or dinner. The canal landscape where swans are walking is superb.